Sunday, September 13, 2009

Another Izzy Update!

Random photo of Izzy's underside! (taken May 09)
Rick fixing Izzy with duct tape (taken May 09)
I posted last week that the brakes had been redone on the front of the truck, and we were going to go in this week to have the front end (axle joint, hub, bearings etc) replaced. Well, before we could get in to the mechanics for those repairs Izzy had a meltdown... quite literally! On our way to pick up paperwork in Manica, Rick noticed the temperature gauge was showing WAY WAY overheating! We pulled over and let it cool a bit, before taking the chance and continueing several kilometres to a local restaurant. There we poured at least 5 litres of fluid into the radiator... waited a while... and decided to keep going.
Our next stop was "The Far Side" a little rest stop that happens to sell the best fresh strawberries around! By this point the truck was so hot we decided to put more water in, turn around and head for Chimoio, and the mechanics!
Half way there we had to stop again, as following slow moving trucks up a hill made the truck overheat AGAIN. And this time it wouldn't start again! After more investigation and inspection, we discovered that the bracket that holds the alternator in place had SHEARED off- meaning the alternator was now not in the right place, and thus was not turning the fan belts properly...or charging the battery! My resourceful husband pushed the truck until we started to roll down the hill, and started the truck while rolling in reverse! We eventually made it to the mechanics, and our poor Izzy is now there for at least a week until the appropriate parts can be made or found.  We are trusting God to keep this vehicle running until the money has come in for the new one, but on days like this its hard to wait! We now have 3/4 of what we need to purchase the vehicle itself, but are waiting for the other 1/4 and the additional funds needed for import duties, fees, etc. (which can add up to a lot in this part of the world!). 
Rick is going up north in just over two weeks for a 14 day trip to run Children's Ministry Training Seminars in two different communities. He will be driving over much of the same bad road we travelled in May( 250 Kms= 8 hours of driving), and we are praying that Izzy will be able to make the journey in one piece! 
Tendai and I are home alone for part of this week as well, as Rick and Dwight have gone up north to do seminars at some of the extension schools for many of the pastors who are in our training program. 
Please continue to pray for safety for Rick and Dwight as they travel, as well as for Lynn and I as we stay here at the farm. We also appreciate your prayers for Tendai's paperwork. We are waiting for the Social Services and judge in Beira to give official approval for us to START the adoption process- its normal for things to take a while here in Moz, but that doesnt make it any easier on us. We have less than a year before we leave for furlough, and we need to have the adoption process finished, and preferably her Canadian passport before then.
Blessings! Rick & Heather & Tendai
Tendai fell asleep mid bottle- and there was no amount of trying that could get her to open her eyes and finish it!
Grammie and Grampie Clarke and Great Great Aunt Patsy put some money in our account so we could buy a nice present for Tendai- we chose a nice activity centre. Good thing it came with instructions!
She loves it- here she is completly absorbed and concentrating on the flashing lights and buttons that play music... very stimulating!
( sorry I didnt have any pictures of the truck adventure this time around- gotta remember to keep a camera with me at all times!)

No comments: