Sunday, March 11, 2007

Get out of the Boat!

As promised, I have returned to explain the title of our blog. Last fall, when we were really feeling God calling us to work in Moz- very strongly and very clearly- I (heather) was experiencing some of my old " but what if...?" moments. I was saying to God- "yeah I know you want us to go.. but what if.... we die? get sick? war breaks out? i step on a landmine? we cant raise our support? we cant pay off our debt???" etc etc.... Right about then, Rick was given the opportunity to preach in church- his sermon focused on the story where Peter walks on the water with Christ. Many people look at Peter and shake their heads "tsk tsk " they say " he didnt have very good faith- look at him, he started to sink!" Ricks point in the message was yeah he started to sink alright- but WHERE were the other disciples???- still safe in the boat! They didnt even have enough faith to step out and take a chance! Well, needless to say, the message really hit me hard- I knew I was one of the disciples in the boat, hearing God's call but choosing to keep to my safe little vessel.

Here are two of my "what if" moments.. both pics Rick took in Moz! As the days and weeks went on after this sermon- God seemed to sense that I was still struggling with the issue, because I was seeing/hearing the phrase "Get Out of The Boat" everywhere!!!! In the SAMM fall newsletter, in a book i was reading (first page!), In a song we sang in church, on TV ( in programs that were not even religious!), people who i didnt even know were saying things like - "wow- Africa eh? thats a big step out of your boat!)

I have to admit, at first i was a little spooked by it all, but i guess sometimes God just wont give up until we finally GET IT!! And it goes on- just the other day I was singing special music in church- a song I love, but i could never understand the end of the first line on the CD- we got out the lyrics and it says "if you ask me to leap- out of my boat onto crashing waves..." Wow! I am glad that I have so much confirmation of this calling in my life, I know it would be a lot scarier if I didnt!

Some of the stories we hear from our Mozambique missionary friends tell us that we are in for a wild ride, often hopeful and fulfilling, but just as often, hard, lonely, and scary. What a comfort we have in Christ. (check out francois and alta's blog for a real story about the dark side of things)

Rick took this picture in Mozambique last summer when he was there. Its a good reminder to me- no matter how safe my boat may feel- if I'm not paying attention to "The Light" then my safe little vessel may end up like this one! God bless- hope you are as challenged by our recent life lessons as we are! Heather and Rick

No comments: